12.31.2010

Peace Out, 2010

I am writing this post in a very strange mood, so just a forewarning. It's almost 2011 and all I have to say to 2010 is, "Maaan, you wore me out!" A year ago, I wrote this: So 2010, I want you to scare me, I want you to have me wondering what's next, and I want you to make me uncomfortable and excited for what's to come. Let's look back at the last year and see how I did.

If I had to make a general statement, I would say that 2010 spun me around and spit me out. Let me clarify that. I started off the year feeling really overwhelmed with things going on at work and just the whole work/life balance thing. I also had some moments where I felt like a few of my friendships were not where I thought they should be and I voiced my feelings. I'm happy to say those friendships are still in tact and I've since learned that sometimes keeping things bottled up only pushes you backwards. Fast forward a few months when I made the terrifying but equally exciting decision to leave my job, pack up my life in New York and head to grad school in London. I basically reset part of my path, which scared the bejesus out of me. I've since completed my first three months in school and can honestly say I don't regret my decision for one second. Maybe in a year when I'm paying off more school loans I'll have some complaints but for now I am loving the new sights, sounds, people and experiences. I've taken two solo trips by myself and as a result, feel more in tune with what I like and don't like. Overall, as cliche as it sounds, it really has been a growing experience.

Then we have the last few weeks. I'm not going to go into detail but all I can say is that things have happened that have made me look at a lot of the relationships in my life and what's important to me. There are things that have made my heart hurt so much it feels like it's physically aching. At the same time, I still believe everything happens for a reason, even if that seems a little crazy to believe in right now. I'm not sure where 2011 is going to take me but I hope it is better than the last few weeks. I also hope it continues to make me grow myself and my relationships with others. I don't necessarily want 2011 to spin me around and spit me out the way 2010 did, but if 2011 wants to shake me up a little, I guess I can handle that.

No comments: