9.12.2008

From Politics to Fashion:You Betta Wurk

So I am making a sharp left turn and going from politics (which will most likely make a return very soon) to fashion (which will probably not make a return anytime soon). I had the opportunity to attend two shows during Fashion Week in New York and they were both great, albeit different, experiences.

The first was Argyleculture by Russell Simmons. I have to say I actually preferred attending this show only because it was so much more relaxed than the other show. I got there an hour before the fashion show started and had the opportunity to hang out in the VIP section, have a couple drinks, take a few pictures, you know...chill out...




Then the show began and it was good. To be honest, I am not much of a menswear person and by that time, drink number two was kicking in so I found myself looking at other people in the audience, looking at the models, looking at the ceiling... my attention span was not my friend. And then as soon as the show was over, people literally jumped out of their seats and either went back to the VIP area or the door. Some guy almost ran me over. Anywho, I still had a great time.


Two days later, I had the opportunity to attend the Zac Posen fashion show and that was definitely an experience. Just as a side note, any other fashion show I have ever attended in the past (which only consists of Argyleculture and Baby Phat during my sophomore year) were held at separate venues so this was my first time walking into the tents at Bryant Park.
Now if you're prone to a guilty conscience like myself, you would have had a hard time ignoring the images of skinned animals that protest groups like PETA were holding up right in front of Bryant Park. I stood outside briefly while waiting for my sister and I was taken aback at both the pictures and the chanting. I didn't even think to myself, of course there would be protesters. And even though I do not wear fur, I felt guilty walking past the picketing people and into the tents...

...So I'm not gonna lie, the guilt didn't last long. It was quickly eclipsed by the craziness of the main area of the tent. There were sponsor booths, ridiculously long lines waiting to get into several fashion shows, wanna-be fashionistas teetering on high heals with designer purses, actual fashionistas sashaying past others as they walked into the fashion shows before everyone else. It was, for someone like me who can sit and watch people all day, a great opportunity to just take it all in.


My sister and I eventually made it into Zac Posen, which was both hectic and incredibly packed. It was easily three times the size of Argyleculture and unfortunately, there was no VIP, open bar, or fun pictures for me. Regardless, his line was beautiful and that's coming from a non-fashionista's point of view. I would have worn a majority of the outfits that graced the runway any day (assuming these outfits were thrown at me out of gratitude for attending the show).



All in all it was a good time and my brief experience with Fashion Week is one I'll definitely remember.

1 comment:

Jackie Rose said...

you look amazing!