So blog, I'm back. Aren't you excited? I know I am. I'm starting to write with no real idea about what I'm going to write about. Then again, that's kind of how I start all of my entries but this one with less of an idea than others. I happen to find writing therapeutic. So I suppose now would be a good time to come up with a topic to write about, in the hopes that I can avoid seeing a therapist and just see my blog, which is free and more easily accessible. Not that I need a therapist. Okay, I've revealed too much of my insanity so time to move on.
As I mentioned in my last post, I'm on a little "hibernation retreat," I guess you could call it. And so far, I think it was a fantastic idea. I love New York, I often think of it as the really sexy, unforgettable ex-boyfriend that you wish you could get out of your mind and maybe when you're somewhere else, your mind does actually travel someplace else. But only momentarily. At the end of the day, you're drawn back to New York. And I'll be damned if New York didn't know I was coming back to it, sneaky bastard. Meanwhile, Florida, is a great temporary escape and the perfect place for me to recharge myself. I had a conversation with a friend yesterday and based on the definition she told me of an introvert and extrovert...I am most definitely an introvert: I draw my energy from being in the presence of only myself. This is very true. I looove going out and I've been called a social butterfly many times but at the end of the day, I NEED my alone time. If I don't get it, I get all irritable and it's not cute. And while I like being social, I don't always like people. So I retreat, or hibernate, and I get my energy only to come back rested and ready for more. So that's what I've been doing. And so far, I've read almost two novels by one of my new favorite authors Jhumpa Lahiri, I watched a great movie, and I thought about all the things that have been troubling me in the past few weeks. Have I come up with a solution to any of them? No. And I probably won't but it doesn't mean they won't occupy my mind. But maybe I'll eventually just grow tired of thinking about them and start thinking about new, exciting things like where I'll be in a year or if they'll ever bring a Trader Joe's to Queens. You get the point.
So I guess you could say this writing has calmed me. Then again, it could also be the Benedryl I took for my allergies a few minutes ago. Either way, I'm feeling much better than when I started this entry. I was a little down when I started it and now I'm feeling...tranquil. Yeah, I definitely think that's the Benedryl. Oh, and I've also decided my next career move should probably be to move to Kokrobite Beach in Ghana, live in a room hastily put together by wood and palm tree branches, and write really horrible romance novels that center on Kokrobite's fishing industry. If that's not a best-seller, I really don't know what is.
Okay, I'm done being corny but on a more serious note...it's been over a year since I left Ghana. And that is truly a depressing thought. But I can't stay sad that it's over, only glad that it happened. I think I am one of those fortunate people to say I spent my time in college well and it definitely had some of the best moments of my life. Mostly spring semester junior year but I don't want to give favoritism to any specific time. Okay, maybe I do. Yeah...spring semester junior year was the shit, I'm not gonna lie. But in the year that I've been away from Ghana, I've had so many other experiences that only helped me to grow since I left that damn gorgeous country. I am not the person I was when I was bawling on the plane from Accra to Amsterdam to New York and for that, I am thankful. Because to remain always the same, to remain stagnant in who you are, especially now, cannot be beneficial to the person you will become.
And with that, this cracked out, semi-profound, rambling entry is done. Good times.
6.04.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'll read your horrible romance novel :) ~G
Post a Comment