7.02.2006

World Cup Madness

So last night was insane. France beat Brazil, a huge upset in the World Cup and this city went crazy. I can't go into details now because I have beaucoup de devoirs ( a lot of homework) but it was fun. Today I went to Versailles, which is absolutely beautiful. I have Paris pictures that I'll post here when I have time. For now, go here:

http://community.webshots.com/user/Aushatay2

So my feelings on Paris so far...I think it's a great city. In fact, it's pretty much exactly what I expected, which, to be honest, is a little bit of a letdown. This city is wonderful so far and so beautiful in its monuments, history, people (yes people, they have been great so far...not rude at all even when I inform them in my butchered French that I am American) and food. But it's almost like I'm in New York. And I guess it's a good thing I love New York or else I wouldn't like Paris but I don't think this will be a particularly amazing experience. I think it will be fun though. Especially right now, with the World Cup madness. I couldn't imagine a better time to be here, when everyone is patriotic and walking up and down the streets last night, I couldn't help but scream out with the Parisians in their excitement and mine. All in all, it's a great city. But it's almost like I've been here before...through movies, novels, television, even through other European cities. In my opinion, they tend to have a similar vibe. I wonder if I would feel differently had I not gone to Ghana before this, which was SUCH a different experience. Regardless, I plan on continuing to have fun here and hopefully my French will be somewhat improved when I go back to the states. I have to admit, it's hard not having spoken French in 6 months and coming here and taking classes in French, only to leave class and feel the need to keep speaking French or else how will I learn? But this language is kind of frustrating. I know this will pay off in the end but it's not as much fun as I'd like it to be. That's all for now. Back to mes devoirs...Au revoir.

No comments: