1.16.2010

Haiti and the Media

So unless you've been living under a gigantic rock, you know about the horrible earthquake that struck Haiti this past Tuesday. It's one of those events that makes you look up and ask why. I wish we knew the answers, but all we know is that a country that was already suffering has been wiped off of its feet, and it's impossible to tell if it will ever be able to stand again.

Combing through American news channels, it's hard NOT to see coverage of Haiti. Every outlet hastily sent anchors and correspondents to the Caribbean country, reporting on the thousands killed and the millions in need of assistance. Bodies are being piled up on the sides of the street or thrown into mass graves, children are left without their parents and mothers are falling to the ground in agony over losing a child. Watching it from your living room almost makes it seem surreal. Except it's real. Really real.

When the earthquake first occurred, I admit I didn't realize the severity of the situation until photos and videos started pouring in the next day. And then I saw the photo of the National Palace before the earthquake and the rubble that stood in its place after. It put in perspective how everything else in Port-au-Prince, which had infrastructures much less stable than the National Palace, must look at this moment. There were also the photos and video of Haitians crying out on the streets or badly wounded, dazed and shaken. I realize this country had the misfortune of being struck by a natural disaster, but that earthquake could have easily hit Jamaica or another Caribbean country, crippling the place where it landed. It's a chilling thought.

But one thing has slowly started to concern me and it ties to my general issue with the media. First, I have to say, if it wasn't for the media, I truly believe there would be a fraction of the donations sent in. People respond to visuals, not always words. So the power of the media in this situation, as in many others, is undeniable. It's one of the reasons I wanted to work in media. I believe it has the power for good. That being said, I'm bothered by certain images American media tends to portray, both in general and in regards to the earthquake in Haiti. I feel like in a few months, the images, the reports, the discussions, will all die down and many Americans will be left with the image of a broken down and torn apart Haiti. For some, it will be the only image they have. A country full of black people suffering. Or should I say another country?

And why would they have other images? There hasn't been that much coverage of Haiti prior to this disaster and certainly no positive coverage. It's a nation that has been struggling to survive for many, many years. What is bothering me is that I feel like the citizens of Haiti are not always being portrayed as people or individuals by certain media outlets. Americans are seeing Haitians running after trucks of food, tearing around boxes in desperation and fighting with one another. It contrasts drastically with the composed images and interviews of the Americans who survived the earthquake. I feel that in an effort to evoke sympathy and receive donations, it's also painting a picture of a barbaric nation and I don't know if there will ever be another image to follow. I just wonder in six months, what will we see of Haiti in the media? Better yet, in six years, what will we see? Or will we have to wait for another tragedy to find out?

1 comment:

sorpresa said...

Nicely spoken chica......