6.28.2009

And the Beat Goes On...

Three days later and it's still surreal that one of the best performers of our time is no longer with us. And while it still sometimes has me in a state of disbelief, I know Michael will live on forever. He is, simply stated, timeless.

There aren't many who go into that category. In fact, the only other person I know of who has that neverending widespread appeal that applies to Michael Jackson is my other all-time musical favorite, Bob Marley. It is hard to argue with the fact that, like Michael, Bob's music was, and still is, global.

Bob Marley was certainly not as successful as Michael Jackson when it came to the number of hit songs or sold out concerts, but both have a rare quality to their music that you know will defy time. Bob Marley died of cancer in 1981, four years prior to my birth, and I can honestly say I listen to his music all the time. He was a pioneer in his days, and I know generations after me will get to know arguably the greatest reggae artist of all time.

As for Michael, I know my children will know his music and I hope my children's children will know it as well. I mostly hope so because his songs are examples of how music is done...how performance is done. As much as I listen to Beyonce and Lil Wayne and all that, there is sadly no one in the industry right now that is making the kind of moves Michael did in the '80s. At least not in my opinion. And part of that is definitely due to the fact that the music industry has changed a lot since then, but I also feel there is so much homogenous music being made that in 50 years time, this young generation's music will be viewed as some sort of musical dark ages. Where is the next musical icon? I don't know the answer to that but I do know there will never be another Michael Jackson, just like there will never be another Bob Marley. But there doesn't need to be, because for them, their beat goes on.

1 comment:

Tha King said...

I would put Bob Marley a step lower than Mike. From what I understand, while he is and icon all wide ,in Jamaica he wasn't the same Icon that he was when he went overseas. I think Mike was just a big here as he was overseas(we just don't faint and act like fools.) Thats just my opinion.Bob Marley died of Cancer? where the hell have I been?? Crazy.

BTW- Favorite Mike songs;
1.Who's loving you; Jackson 5
2.Got to be there; Jackson 5
3. Lady in my life