3.12.2009

Birthday Non-Blues

Guess who just had a birthday...

twenty four.

So a friend of mine asked me yesterday how it feels to be one year older. People always ask that and it's not a bad thing, but what would your response be if someone asked you the same question? Usually the response is, "the same." And I guess you could say I essentially feel the same way I did between Tuesday and Wednesday but on a broader scale, I actually do feel different.

Overall, 23 was good. It was a good professional year. I don't think there was any drama or craziness and it certainly wasn't as emotionally draining as 22. In fact, between a year ago and now, I feel much stronger, more secure, less tolerant of BS and more aware. Even since my birthday yesterday, I'm more aware. Not gonna lie, my birthday started out a little rough, at least from my perspective. But then I spoke to someone who turned my perspective around and said to me, "one thing you learn in life is that you should always treat others the way they treat you." This isn't anything new but it certainly became more illuminated since yesterday. I am aware that there are people in my life who are genuinely good people and I see that. And being aware of that, I would go out of my way to do so much for these people because there is mutual respect and friendship there. But there are also some people amongst the good ones who aren't as genuine and I learned it's better to focus on what you have rather than what you don't have. My birthday was filled with mostly great people and for that, I am grateful.

As for the next year, I haven't forgotten what I wrote on the New Year. I still have that need to push forward while remaining cognizant of the climate we live in. But I am truly in need of change, whatever that ends up being. Right now I am just doing what I've been doing, which is taking part in the things I enjoy with the people I enjoy. And, as you may be able to guess, it's pretty enjoyable.

No comments: