1.21.2009

We Have a New President


January 20, 2009

We have a new president. I was there for the inauguration.

I'm not going to go into the details of my trip, mostly because I'm too lazy/tired to discuss everything but also because I'd rather talk about my thoughts on the inauguration and Barack Obama's presidency.

First and foremost, I know I have mentioned this before but I'm going to say it again. I am in love with this family. I think they represent what a family should be. It's so apparent to me the unconditional love they have for one another. But beyond that, Barack and Michelle Obama look like equals and that is everything I hope for in a marriage. I don't want to stand in someone's shadow, I want to be right next to that person, holding his hand. And that's what it looks like to me. At the end of the day, he is the first African American president and has made history but she is no slouch either. She is incredibly strong, poised and has two gorgeous daughters. So for those reasons and more, I am in love. No other way to describe it.

Now I have read in several news sources that people had mixed reviews on President Obama's speech and all I can say is that I thought it was incredibly appropriate. If people were expecting this grandiose, idyllic speech then they are being delusional. This relates to one of my major concerns, which is that people are looking at this man like he's the Messiah and everything will change almost overnight. It is slightly scary. When I was in D.C. the love was everywhere. People did things for other people that you don't see every day and that was heartwarming to see. But I also heard people say things like "he's here at last!" or "he has arrived!" and, not gonna lie, it freaked me out a little.

Furthermore, President Barack Obama is human. I have faith in him but I know, just as he said in his inauguration speech and he's said several times before, this will take time. It will take years to repair, not days or months. And I think people have to remain realistic about his presidency. I am a 110% supporter of Barack Obama, I think he's incredibly brilliant and progressive, and I am so happy that he is taking over but don't build him up as this otherworldly figure here to save the day. Some may call this being pessimistic but I just like to keep a perspective on things.

That concern aside, it is an absolutely incredible experience to stand in a sea of over 1.5 million people in freezing weather and watch history in the making. And it really makes you reflect on your limitations, or, as President Barack Hussein Obama has shown, your lack thereof.


No comments: