12.24.2006

Real Friends

It has almost been a year since I started this blog and what an intense, incredible year it's been. Truly. If I could, I would easily re-live this year again with everything the same from the amazing highs to the ridiculous lows. I feel like even though I was getting pretty frustrated and stressed these past few weeks, none of it matters. At the end of the day, I'm here and I'm happy and it's almost 2007! How unbelievably insane is that? Yesterday I was graduating high school and tomorrow I'm graduating college. Coming home to Boca is always a nostalgic experience for me but more so this year than ever before. I'm really starting to see how life after college starts to affect us, even though a lot of my friends and I are still in college. Normally when I come home I know that I will see Gabby, Christine and Lauren and we'll go see a movie then go to Starbucks to catch up and talk for hours. But this time it's different because Gabby isn't a college student, she's working and now lives in Orlando. And I'm so happy for her. And while this may not seem extreme, it's an indication of how our lives are slowly starting to shift in different directions. In 6 months, where will we all be? And not just Gabby, Christine and Lauren but all of my friends? Where will I be? Who will I be friends with after I graduate. The other day I was talking with Lauren and Christine about people we consider "real friends" and I wonder who will be a "real friend" in the future? It's sad to think about but like high school, when I leave college is, what I believe to be, the true test of friendship. Because we're always changing and sometimes we change and no longer see our friends the way we used to. And sometimes we see more of them than before and it's more solid.

Beyond that it's crazy how just being in one location can bombard you with memories. Every time I come back to Boca it's like I'm in a time zone and everyone I see is not 20 and 21 but 17 and 18 and we've just ended another amazing production in drama and we're backstage gossiping like old times. It's just fascinating to me the way we're always pulled back into that. I like it because it helps me remember and appreciate what were absolutely wonderful high school days.

In several hours, it will be Christmas Day and I will be on a plane to Jamaica. Tropical Christmases are most definitely my thing so I'm looking forward to this very much. I plan on coming back dark as night :) And with New Years approaching, I'm thinking more and more about this past year, where I'll be in a year and how the hell I'm going to have as much fun in 2007 as I did in 2006. Even with graduation coming up, I'm going to make sure it's a damn good year. So the next time I write in this will be post-Jamaica, post-2006 and pre-another great year of my life. I like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I've commented (but don't think I've slacked on keeping up with your entries), but you have a way of inspiring these intellectual thoughts in some of your entries (part of the reason I keep reading!). I totally wish I was there for your "real friends" conversation with Lauren and Christine because I feel like the four of us are real friends and I don't feel like I've found many others as true as you all in my years since high school. It's funny to me that despite hardly seeing each other, talking only over the internet, and living hundreds of miles away from one another, I feel closer to you than I ever did when we were in high school. There is something so special about the way we always manage to talk for hours about everything and nothing at all. Even though our get togethers are few and far between, I look forward to them all year. It is weird to wonder where we'll all be at this time next year. It might be the first year that we won't all be able to meet up during Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break. But instead of thinking of the depressing thought of losing our friendships with one another, I'm trying to focus on all of the great adventures in store for us four in the future. Just think! If Lauren is in New York, wouldn't it be fabulous to plan a vacation trip to the city? And if Christine is in Washington D.C., a weekend up there would be just as fun. If anything, having us apart from one another will allow us to expand our horizons even more. I hope that as our lives become richer so do our friendships.

And with that I leave you. Love you and see you soon! ~G