So something that you may or may not have picked up on in this blog is that I'm constantly thinking about what I want to do in life. Or rather, what I want to "be" when I grow up. I'm an ambitious person and I believe I adapt farely well in a lot of situations. So I am confident that I can prove myself in pretty much any role I am in because I believe in, and have always believed in, hard work.
Today, however, I'm having another slight quarter life crisis. Slight, not massive. But basically, and this is probably going to sound ridiculous coming from someone who's only two years out of college, I feel drained. Not in the sense that I work extremely long hours and can't move at the end of the day because, fortunately, that's never really the case for me. My hours are fine and I get to see friends, go to the gym, go home and chill, etc. most days of the week. I have also had opportunities given to me that not many people get, even when you work 25 years for a company. And yet, I feel drained because I don't know if my current lifestyle is for me. It comes at a strange time because I feel like I'm on, as I stated in an earlier post, a trajectory. But just because people are starting to notice, does it mean I stick with my current path?
I was speaking to a friend today who used to work in the same industry as me but has now gone to something totally unrelated. And he loves it. When I first heard about his new job, it seemed completely random to me but now I get it. It seems like it keeps him going, despite the work he's putting in.
The combination of my surroundings and my conversation with my friend led me to think about what really matters to me. People forget this all the time but we only have one life. One life to do whatever it is we want. Now, that doesn't mean we go crazy and run rampant through the streets but sometimes it puts things in perspective. Sometimes, it makes me stop and think, yes, I could very well keep on doing this, but does it matter to me? At the end of the day, what matters to me? I am still trying to figure that out. I find it becomes more difficult as time goes on to step back from our day-to-day and look at the bigger picture. I don't know exactly what that bigger picture is, but I don't want to lose sight of it.
10.20.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I 100% completely agree with you. It is SO important to find and do what you are passionate about. And don't feel pressure to have it all figured out just yet. Life is an adventure and you discover new things along the way. Just be sure that you don't get so comfortable in what you are doing that you become scared to follow a path that's different from the one you envisioned for yourself.
Post a Comment