So I'm not going to lie, I have been reading several NYU students blogs who are currently in the midst of their spring semester in Ghana and I am supremely jealous of what they're going through right now. They're in that phase where they haven't been there long but it feels like they've been there for at least a month. Everything is very new and exciting to them and they're discovering just how carefree and unmaterialistic Ghanaians are in comparison to people from the Western World. I love the beginning of things like this when you're excited and fascinated by everything and want to learn more about a culture that's so different from your own. To not sugarcoat everything, this stage is also good because it's before some of the not-so-good parts of living in Accra, like people thinking they can cheat you because you're a foreigner or the chauvinism that was hard for me to deal with, especially being a woman in New York or even the muggings. But at the end of the day, it's a beautiful place and they're going to have a beautiful semester, if they make the most of the opportunity they've been given. Okay, I'm done being a weird stalker freak.
P.S.- I graduate in 4 months. W.T. Effing F.
1.18.2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Now you know how I felt, cept, I ain't never been!
Post a Comment