With the encouragement of Gabby, and also because I really do like writing in this thing, I've decided to keep blogging even though I had only started it for my study abroad trips.
So now I'm back to my New York craziness. I definitely miss studying abroad, it's an AMAZING experience. Like I would study abroad all this year if I could. I miss Paris but I love getting to see Paris people in NY b/c no matter where we are we're fun times and the fact that I miss Ghana is a given. I need a damn job before I can even consider trying to go back to that country. And some of my best friends are a result of Ghana. And now it's over and it was so devastating to have it end but I've bounced back...almost. I always forget how much I love New York until I'm here. Once I'm here I get caught up in the New York that I love, like the theatre and restaurants and the fact that I have the choice to get caught up in the fast-paced walking, ipod in my ears and music allowing me to zone out, or I can sit in the park or by the Hudson river and read and it's almost like I'm in another state.
And it's only the first week of classes and already life is semi-crazy and definitely busy. I am barely in school, with only 2 days of classes and most of my life is dedicated to my internship at Montel Williams, my extracurricular club involvement like OBW and AAP and my soon-to-be-found job. And by soon to be found, I mean I need to be hired like tomorrow. New York is not nearly as fun when you can't go out at night because you're low on funds. So Montel is pretty good so far. I work there 2 days a week and I'm always with another intern which is good...right now the tasks aren't the most challenging, they just keep me busy. I'm hoping to get more challenging assignments soon and see what everyone's role is. BUT this morning I had an amazing meeting with my internship advisor. Like basically she is doing what I would LOVE to be doing. She's a writer/producer of television and she's started her own company. She also writes and teaches occasionally but she's been doing this for more than 20 years and just talking to her gave me a better idea of how to get what you want. Like when she was younger she lived for 4 years in Spain because she wanted to. And she wanted to work in television but she didn't want to get consumed by it like so many people do. She didn't want to wake up at 50 yrs old and realize that she had no life, no friends, no loves, anything. And it happens a lot in that business. So she started her own business so that she could, in her own words "have her cake and eat it too." I love it. And so she works, she has her family and she hasn't worked a 9-5 desk job in 20 years. Having her as an advisor is going to be very beneficial, especially at this moment in my life when I'm about to graduate and who knows what's next? But I would absolutely LOVE to live outside of the US, at least for 1 yr. I think you learn a lot about yourself when you're in situations like that. And I've never really experienced is as a non-student. So yeah...we'll see what happens but so far, things are going pretty damn well. But please...someone hire me. Thanks.
9.08.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your one and only friendly blog commenter here! I must say I am glad you have continued to write in your journal, even if I am the only one to read it. I do find that having a journal is a good outlet for getting your emotions out there, especially since hand writing an actual journal is hard nowadays, what with our brains thinking faster than our hands can write. Anywho, I miss you like crazy and look forward to reading about YOUR crazy NYC adventures! Say Hi to Montel for me! Hehe ~G
Post a Comment