So...I don't have my class schedule finalized but here's what I have so far...in Ghana, I have the option of taking classes at NYU in Ghana, Ashesi University (a private college down the road from NYU in Ghana) and University of Ghana (a 40 min. drive from the residence). So far I am taking Africa in the International Setting at Ashesi University. I think it'll be interesting once it has some direction but it's all about Africa connecting with the outside world and it's role in the international perspective. Then at NYU in Ghana I am taking Documenting the African City, which I am sooooooo excited about b/c it's basically a filmmaking class. We learn how to make documentaries and then we get into groups and make a documentary on a topic of our choice. Like some previous documentaries have been on the Rastafarian culture in Accra, music, AIDS, etc. So I'm excited to see where this class takes me. Then there's Reporting II, which will also involve me getting out of the classroom and into Accra and its surrounding neighborhoods. That class is in conjunction with UGhana students so it's taking place mostly on the UGhana campus and we visit newsrooms and have reporting assignments. I think I'll like the class mostly b/c it will give me a chance to interact with Ghanaians and kind of pick their brains. I'm very fascinated by the way they think as far as being apart of a community, which is so different from the mentality of the people in the states, where it's all about the individual and everyone looking out for themselves. My last class has yet to be determined. I'm trying to take a UGhana class but things on that campus are kind of slow. One amazing thing is that we get a 4 week "shopping period," where we can visit classrooms for 4 weeks and then decide on what we like and sign up for it. NYU needs to get on that. And I may take an intermediate modern African and Afro-Caribbean dance class, except it's 5 days a week and mostly at 8:30 am...painful. But if I join that, I won't have to join a gym...so we'll see. And I should take a French class to keep up with the language. I should have a more finalized schedule within the next couple of weeks.
So nightlife has been great so far. I wanted to go out last night but I have to be ready by 8:15 this morning so I didn't think it'd be wise, especially since I went out Tuesday night and Wednesday night and have gone to bed at 4:30am each night. I'm not trying to exhaust myself in the 2nd week. But there's a beach party every Wednesday night and they play reggae music and everyone chills on the beach with Rastas. It's very relaxing and the beach is amazing at night. And then there's Aphrodisiac Thursdays, where they have dancehall and ladies are free. Then there's Boomerang and a bunch of other bars that are cool places to hang out. I've found a favorite drink since I've been here...well, 2 favorite drinks. One of them is called Strawberry and it's like strawberry flavored rum/juice. It's great! And then there's something called Amarello, which is like a fruity Baileys. Oh man...you guys know I love my Baileys so I was all about it. But yeah, in general the going out and partying has been a little too intense these past 2 weeks so I'm going to tone it down, especially with classes and community service starting up soon. Speaking of, I think I'm either doing community service at a preschool or at an AIDS organization. Good times.
This weekend, the group is going to Cape Coast to go to Elmina slave castle. It's going to be intense and I'm interested to see how I perceive myself and just slavery in general afterwards b/c this was literally where slaves were shipped off to owners across the ocean. So...until then...
1.20.2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yeah, so if you haven't figured it out by now, I'm basically going to comment on every one of your journal entries. Because it's the closest thing to actually talking to you!
All of the classes sound amazing, and yeah, that shopping period thing sounds GREAT! So you decided to take a class at the 40- minute- away university after all... it sounds awesome though. They all do. I'm putting in a vote as well for JOIN THE DANCE CLASS! Although preferably not at 8:30, if you can...
It sounds like you're going out a lot and having so much fun! Do you meet and talk to a lot of local people when you're out? I also want to hear about your housemates! And do you buy groceries? What kinds of interesting foreign stuff do they have?
-JenAshTep
P.S. LOVE YOU!
Woop Woop, it sounds like you are having a blasssstttt! (Sorry for the enthusiasm, I'm in a good mood today). I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself and taking interesting classes. Keep updating...I am living vicariously through your travels (okay maybe not, but I still like to read about your every move...haha just kidding...or am I?)
Gabs
Post a Comment